Abt 1595 - Bef 1648 (~ 53 years)
Has no ancestors but 15 descendants in this family tree.
||John Yates |
||'the Immigrant' |
|Relationship||with Francis Fox|
||Bef Aug 1648
||Nansemond Co., Virginia
||20 Dec 2007 |
- 1636 Mariner and SettlerFact # 2 1642 Churchwarden of Lynhaven ParishFact # 3 1648 Wife Administrator of EstateJohn arrived in America from Gravesend England on the ship"America" on Jun 23, 1635. The ship was captained by WilliamBlake.1636 - Mariner and settler. 1642 - Churchwarden of LynhavenParish. August 1648 wife made administrator of his estate. A John Yatesis listed as having entered the US in 1635, imported by WilliamBarber (a mariner), to Charles City County, Virginia. John mayhave imported a Thomas Leager, Mary Yates, Richard Wright,William Wheeler, Grace West, and John and Nicholas Seaburne in1636 to Elizabeth City County, Virgina. (record found but notproven to be this John yet) John may have imported a Jone Yates,Richard Yates, and John Merriday in 1638 to Lower New NorfolkCo., Virginia. Notes on John Yates, the Emigrant. Known as Johnthe Emigrant, John Yates embarked on the America to betransported from England to New England from London, WilliamBarker or Barber, captain, June 23, 1635, when he was 20 years old. On May 4, 1636, John Yates received a grant of 150 acres inElizabeth City county on a neck of land on the east side of theElizabeth (Nansemond) River for transporting himself, wife Joanand son Richard to New England from England. (In other words, hewas returning.) He received another 200 acres on the north sideof the Elizabeth River for transporting four persons to New England, including his daughter Mary, in 1636. Thus, apparently,he made three voyages in one year. He is probably also the JohnYates, 19, transported in the Hopewell to Barbados, Feb. 17,1634/5 and identical with the John Yates, ship's carpenter, listed in the crew of the "Foxe" in 1646. He also received agrant of 600 acres in Lower Norfolk county on March 10, 1638(Book 1, Bishop Meade's Old Churches and Families of Virginia,vol. I, p. 359). In a grant of Sept. 21, 1636, he is called JohnGater, and his wife named as Joan Gater. His patents wererenewed in the name of John Gater on July 26, 1638 (800 acres bynow). With his wife's 200, he owned an even 1,000 acres when hedied. He was churchwarden of Lynhaven parish in 1642 and diedbefore August 1648, when his widow Joan was made administratorof his affairs by the Lower Norfolk County court. AnEpaphroditus Lawson sued him for a debt in 1639, prosecuting theaffair for ten years. He lived in what became Dorchester inNorfolk County on a neck of land bounded by the creek called Dunout of the Mire. His grants were on the Nansemond River in aplace called Kicoughtan by the Nansemond Indians. Most of theland grantees were from Dorsetshire and surrounding area insouthern England. He was a shipwright, or as we might say today,"ship engineer." His descendants moved first to Halifax County(Brunswick, then Lunenburg), then Pittsylvania County, Virginia. They also had land grants grants in North Carolina. Taken from Donald Panther-Yates web site.