Cornelis van Werckhoven

Cornelis van Werckhoven

Male 1617 - 1665  (48 years)    Has 16 ancestors but no descendants in this family tree.

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Cornelis van Werckhoven 
    Relationshipwith Adam
    Born 1617 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1665 
    Person ID I494644  Geneagraphie
    Last Modified 28 Oct 2006 

    Father Mr. Joan van Werckhoven,   b. 1573,   d. 1619  (Age 46 years) 
    Mother Aechje Hasselaer,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Married 1618 
    Family ID F203491  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Geertruida Hasselaer,   b. 1624,   d. 1696, Amsterdam, NH, NL Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years) 
    Married 1643 
    Last Modified 28 Oct 2006 
    Family ID F199113  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • raad in de vroedschap van Utrecht
      New Utrecht
      From the (1939) WPA Guide to New York City:
      Borough Park , Bensonhurst , and Bath Beach form one undistinguished neighborhood stretching from the southern tip of Greenwood Cemetery down to Gravesend Bay. The western part, along the shore from Bay Ridge to Gravesend, was until the 1890's the town of New Utrecht, first settled in 1652. In that year Cornelis van Werckhoven, a citizen of Utrecht, Holland, and a member of the Dutch West India Company, hearing that the English were making claims on the Dutch possessions on Long Island, came to the New World to found several colonies. He bought land from the Indians, paying a quantity of shirts, shoes, stockings, knives, scissors, and combs, erected a house and mill, and returned to Holland to recruit settlers for his new colony. In 1657 the settlement became a town and was named for Werckhoven's native city.
      The New Utrecht Reformed Church, Eighteenth Avenue and Eighty-third Street, dates back to 1677. The present building, in meetinghouse style, was erected in 1828, with stone from the older church, built about 1700. The Liberty Pole in front of the building is the last remaining on Long Island, and the fourth (1910) on this spot since 1783. Among the relics of the church is an hourglass once used to limit the duration of the sermons

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources