Charles Ramsey  Garnett-Botfield

Charles Ramsey Garnett-Botfield

Male 1858 - 1932  (74 years)    Has 51 ancestors and 4 descendants in this family tree.

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Charles Ramsey Garnett-Botfield 
    Relationshipwith Adam
    Born 7 May 1858  Bunbury, Cheshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 19 Sep 1932 
    Person ID I270128  Geneagraphie
    Last Modified 12 Aug 2001 

    Father William Bishton Garnett-Botfield,   b. 27 Jun 1816, Nantwich, Cheshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Jan 1903, Decker Hill, Shifnal, Shropshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years) 
    Mother Sarah Dutton,   b. 1823, Halkyn, Flintshire, Wales Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Feb 1867, Decker Hill, Shifnal, Shropshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 44 years) 
    Married 2 Nov 1848  Birkenhead Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Siblings 6 siblings 
    Family ID F109198  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Ida Mary Aldersey,   b. 11 Apr 1865,   d. 13 May 1923, Moreton Vicarage near Oswestry, Shropshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 58 years) 
    Married 1886  Chester, Cheshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Jack Massey Garnett-Botfield,   b. 1890,   d. 5 Dec 1938  (Age 48 years)
     2. Constance Rosemary Garnett-Botfield
     3. Evelyn Ida Garnett-Botfield,   b. 17 Jul 1898,   d. Apr 1991, 42 Station Road, Albrighton near Wolverhampton Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 92 years)
     4. Charles Sidney Garnett-Botfield,   b. 5 Oct 1887, Rochdale Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Dec 1914, Boulogne, France [wounds received in action] Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 27 years)
    Last Modified 12 Aug 2001 
    Family ID F109185  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 



    • The Reverend Charles Ramsay Garnett-Botfield was the seventh child and youngest son of the Rev. William Bishton Garnett-Botfield. In point of fact, he was born on May 7, 1858 at Bunbury, Cheshire while his father was still the Preacher of St. Boniface Church, and before the Garnett family had succeeded to the Botfield name and fortune.

      Charles Ramsay Garnett-Botfield grew up in the lap of luxury. The family moved to the mansion at Decker Hill when he was but a lad of six. He was educated at Harrow and Magdalen College, Oxford where he took an M.A. in 1884. He entered the ministry and became Vicar of Moreton, Oswestry in the county of Salop.

      From the Wellington Journal, which published his obituary on September 24, 1932 [five days following his death] we can now outline a much clearer sketch of the man, his life and loves...

      The death occurred at a nursing home in Colwyn Bay on Monday [September 19, 1932] of the Rev. Charles Ramsay Garnett-Botfield, of Rhos-on-Sea, and formerly vicar of Moreton for many years.

      Deceased, who was 74 years of age, was born at Decker Hill, Shifnal [the location of his birth given here is incorrect] being a member of a well-known Shropshire family. He was educated at Harrow, and graduated an M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford.

      In his early years he was curate of Rochdale, and after a period under the Dean of Manchester, he was given a living at Adwick, Yorkshire, in 1888.

      In 1893 he succeeded the late Rev. W. E. Price at Moreton, where he remained until 1929, when he was succeeded by the present vicar, the Rev. F.A. Owen.

      Deceased is survived by one brother, Mr. Walter Garnett-Botfield, Albrighton; one son, Mr Jack Garnett-Botfield, Victoria, Australia; two daughters,
      Mrs. Legge, Albrighton and Miss Evelyn Garnett-Botfield (who resided with him at Rhos-on-Sea), and one grandson in Australia. Capt. C. S. [Sidney] Garnett-Botfield (son) was killed in the Great War [at the close of 1914].

      In his younger days, deceased was a keen athlete and gloried in a game of Rugger. He could shoot with the best and was also very fond of following the hounds. Fishing also greatly attracted him and for many years he had the lease on Livnelys Pool. Among his many hobbies must be included floriculture: he was, in fact a specialist where roses were concerned, and in the springtime the Moreton Vicarage gardens were always a mass of tulips, daffodils, narcissi and crocuses.

      He was very fond of children, and many of the young men of Moreton will remember the time when he allowed them the use of his paddock and orchard. Rain, hail, or snow,
      he was always the keenest spectator at the school football matches.

      He had a keen ear for music, as well as being a candid critic of the church choir, he delighted in periodically coming over to the Moreton School and asking Mr. Cecil Evans, then headmaster of Moreton, to ask the children to sing the old Harrow school song, "Forty Years On".

      His greatest interest was, however, always his church. Every Saturday afternoon he would visit the church and put everything in readiness for the Sunday, and he always took a big part in the decorations of the church.

      With Mr. Cecil Evans, he was a prime mover in the providing of Moreton School playing field; and it was always his wish that a village institute should be built on the ground.

      For many years he was partially incapacitated, and towards the close his infirmities became greater, his retirement being on the grounds of ill-health.

      The funeral took place at the family grave at Moreton, on Thursday. In the morning the school flag was flown at half-mast in his memory. The choir, under the leadership of Mr. A. D. Narraway, was in attendance, and the organist, Mr. Francis W. Williams, played appropriate music. Included in the service was deceased's favourite hymn: "Abide with Me", the Nune Dimittis (in place of the psalm), and "O rest in the Lord".

      The service was conducted by the Rev. F. Owen, who was assisted by the Rev. W. Armour (Knutsford) and the Rev. E. Evans (vicar of Holy Trinity, Oswestry). Other clergy present were the Rev. Poole Hughes (Llanvmynech), the Rev. J. Allen Jones (Llanyblodwel), the Rev. A. C. Roberts (Kinnerley).

      The mourners were Dr. and Mrs. Melville Legge (son-in- law and daughter), Mr. T. Aldersey, Shifnal (brother-in-law), Major and Mrs. Garnett-Botfield (brother and sister-in-law), Capt. and Mrs. Corbett-Winder, Berriew (nephew and niece), Mr. G. Legg and Nurse Oliver.

      [There follows here a long list of other mourners who attended the funeral]



      Custom Field:<_FA#> 31 May 1858Bunbury, Cheshire, ENGLAND
      GARNETT-BOTFIELD, Ch arles Ramsay [Rev.]
      [1858-1932]
      The Reverend Charles Ramsay Garnett-Botfield was the seventh child and
      youngest son of the Rev. William Bishton Garnett-Bo tfield. In point of
      fact, he was born on May 7, 1858 at Bunbury, Cheshire w hile his father
      was still the Preacher of St. Boniface Church, and before the Garnett
      family had succeeded to the Botfield name and fortune.
      Charles Ra msay Garnett-Botfield grew up in the lap of luxury. The family
      moved to the mansion at Decker Hill when he was but a lad of six. He was
      educated at Harr ow and Magdalen College, Oxford where he took an M.A. in
      1884. He entered th e ministry and became Vicar of Moreton, Oswestry in
      the county of Salop.
      Fro m the Wellington Journal, which published his obituary on September
      24, 1932 [five days following his death] we can now outline a much
      clearer sketch of the man, his life and loves...
      The death occurred at a nursing home in Col wyn Bay on Monday [September
      19, 1932] of the Rev. Charles Ramsay Garnett-B otfield, of Rhos-on-Sea,
      and formerly vicar of Moreton for many years.
      Dece ased, who was 74 years of age, was born at Decker Hill, Shifnal [the
      locatio n of his birth given here is incorrect] being a member of a
      well-known Shrop shire family. He was educated at Harrow, and graduated
      an M.A. of Magdalen C ollege, Oxford.
      In his early years he was curate of Rochdale, and after a peri od under
      the Dean of Manchester, he was given a living at Adwick, Yorkshire, in
      1888.
      In 1893 he succeeded the late Rev. W. E. Price at Moreton, where he
      remained until 1929, when he was succeeded by the present vicar, the Rev.
      F.A. Owen.
      Deceased is survived by one brother, Mr. Walter Garnett-Botfield,
      Albrighton; one son, Mr Jack Garnett-Botfield, Victoria, Australia;
      t wo daughters, Mrs. Legge, Albrighton and Miss Evelyn Garnett-Botfield
      (who resided with him at Rhos-on-Sea), and one grandson in Australia.
      Capt. C. S. [Sidney] Garnett-Botfield (son) was killed in the Great War
      [at the close o f 1914].
      In his younger days, deceased was a keen athlete and gloried in a gam e of
      Rugger. He could shoot with the best and was also very fond of followin g
      the hounds. Fishing also greatly attracted him and for many years he had
      the lease on Livnelys Pool. Among his many hobbies must be included
      floricu lture: he was, in fact a specialist where roses were concerned,
      and in the s pringtime the Moreton Vicarage gardens were always a mass of
      tulips, daffodi ls, narcissi and crocuses.
      He was very fond of children, and many of the yo ung men of Moreton
      will remember the time when he allowed them the use of his paddock and
      orchard. Rain, hail, or snow, he was always the keenest spe ctator at the
      school football matches.
      He had a keen ear for music, as well as being a candid critic of the
      church choir, he delighted in periodically c oming over to the Moreton
      School and asking Mr. Cecil Evans, then headmaste r of Moreton, to ask
      the children to sing the old Harrow school song, "Forty Years On".
      His greatest interest was, however, always his church. Every Satur day
      afternoon he would visit the church and put everything in readiness for
      the Sunday, and he always took a big part in the decorations of the
      church.
      With Mr. Cecil Evans, he was a prime mover in the providing of Moreton
      Schoo l playing field; and it was always his wish that a village
      institute should be built on the ground.
      For many years he was partially incapacitated, and tow ards the close his
      infirmities became greater, his retirement being on the gr ounds of
      ill-health.
      The funeral took place at the family grave at Moreton, on Thursday. In
      the morning the school flag was flown at half-mast in his me mory. The
      choir, under the leadership of Mr. A. D. Narraway, was in attenda nce,
      and the organist, Mr. Francis W. Williams,


Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources