Admiral Charles Cotton

Admiral Charles Cotton[1]

Male 1753 - 1812  (~ 58 years)    Has 9 ancestors and 9 descendants in this family tree.

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name Charles Cotton 
    Prefix Admiral 
    Relationshipwith Francis Fox
    Born Jun 1753 
    Gender Male 
    Battle 1 Jun 1794  Atlantic Ocean south of Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 23 Feb 1812 
    Person ID I1385376  Geneagraphie
    Links To This person is also Sir Charles Cotton, 5th Baronet at Wikipedia 
    Links To This person is also Sir Charles Cotton, 5th Baronet at The Peerage 
    Last Modified 20 Nov 2011 

    Father John Hynde Cotton 
    Mother Anne Parsons 
    Married Aug 1754 
    Family ID F1292853  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Philadelphia Rowley 
     1. Vincent Cotton
    +2. Maria Susanna Cotton,   d. 8 Jan 1871
    Last Modified 2 Sep 2016 
    Family ID F1292852  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map Click to display
    Link to Google MapsBattle -
    Glorious 1st of June - 1 Jun 1794 - Atlantic Ocean south of Ireland
    Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Admral Charles Cotton
    Admral Charles Cotton

    Histories 2 Histories

  • Notes 
    • educated at Westminster School and Lincoln's Inn before joining the Royal Navy in 1772 as a midshipman on HMS Deal Castle. In 1775, during the American Revolutionary War, Cotton joined the frigate HMS Niger and participated in the Boston campaign in 1775 and Long Island campaign in 1776. In 1777, Cotton took command of the floating battery HMS Vigilant off the Chesapeake and supported the landing of British troops off the river. He was also promoted to lieutenant during the campaign.

      On 10 August 1779, Cotton was promoted to post captain aboard the ship of the line HMS Boyne and in her joined the fleet under Sir George Rodney in the West Indies. The following year, Cotton joined Rodney in action at the Battle of Martinique, when the French and British fleets fought an inconclusive action off the island. Cotton then returned the aged Boyne to Britain where she was paid off and Cotton given the frigate HMS Alarm which he returned to the West Indies. In 1782, Cotton commanded her at the Battle of the Saintes as a repeating ship for Rodney's signals. After the peace of 1783, Cotton returned to Britain.

      In England, Cotton settled at Madingley and married Philadelphia Rowley, daughter of Admiral Sir Joshua Rowley. The couple had four surviving children and settled into genteel retirement during the peace of the 1780s. In 1793, two weeks after the French Revolutionary Wars broke out, Cotton was recalled to service in HMS Majestic and joined the Channel Fleet under Lord Howe. In June 1794, Majestic was engaged at the Glorious First of June where Cotton took a long-time to join the action, failing to reach the French until late in the engagement and taking possession of Sans Pareil. Despite joining the fighting, Lord Howe omitted Cotton from his dispatch of the battle and as a result, Cotton was denied official recognition and did not receive the Gold Medal given to many of the officers present at the action.

      Despite this snub, Cotton remained in service and in January 1795 inherited the baronetcy upon the death of his father. He moved to HMS Mars and in June was with the fleet under William Cornwallis at Cornwallis's action, when a squadron of British ships were overhauled by a much larger French fleet under Villaret de Joyeuse. Mars was badly damaged and fell behind the other ships. When Cornwallis turned to rescue Cotton, Villaret shied off, believing that Cornwallis had support over the horizon. Cotton and Cornwallis were both highly praised for this action.

      In 1797, Cotton was promoted to rear-admiral and two years later hoisted his flag in HMS Prince. In June 1799, Cotton pursued a French squadron from Brest to the Mediterranean and there served under Lord Keith, unsuccessfully pursuing the same squadron on its return to Northern European waters. In 1802 he was promoted to vice-admiral and between 1802 and 1805 worked actively in the Channel Fleet to hinder and forestall French invasion plans against Britain.

      With the Battle of Trafalgar and the collapse of French hopes of invasion, Cotton took command of several ships stationed off the Tagus in Portugal. After the French invasion of Iberia, Cotton closely supported the Portuguese defences and subsequently the army under Sir Arthur Wellesley which fought at the Battle of Vimeiro. Admiral Cotton, newly promoted, objected to the Convention of Sintra which ended the campaign and refused to acknowledge the provision which allowed the blockaded Russian squadron in Lisbon safe passage back to Russia. Maintaining the blockade over the objections of allies and enemies alike, Cotton eventually forced the Russian admiral to agree to a revision of the treaty in which his ships remained legally Russian but would be held in a disarmed state in a British harbour for the duration of Anglo-Russian hostilities.

      In 1808, Cotton remained off Portugal and arranged Lisbon as the principal harbour for the British invasion of Iberia later in the year. He also planned and executed the seaborne extraction of the 30,000 men of Sir John Moore's army trapped in Galicia. Cotton's plans allowed a fleet to transports to remove the vast majority of the army after they had defeated close French pursuit at the Battle of Corunna. Late in the year, Cotton was recalled to Britain.

      In 1810, Cotton was chosen as Lord Collingwood's replacement in command of the Mediterranean Fleet after Collingwood's sudden death. This was the second most senior seagoing command in the Navy, and Cotton continued the close blockade of the French fleet in Toulon and expanded operations from the sea against French troops operating in Southern Spain. In mid-1811, Cotton was recalled to Britain and took command of the Channel Fleet from Lord Gambier on the latter's retirement. Cotton was in the post just five months when on 23 February 1812 he collapsed and died of apoplexy in Plymouth after inspecting the fleet in its winter berths.

      Cotton was survived by his wife and four children, the eldest son becoming Sir St Vincent Cotton, 6th Baronet. Cotton was buried at Landwade church in Cambridgeshire with his family raising a memorial to him in Madingley. His memorial by the monumental mason Flaxman was erected in the Cambridgeshire parish church

  • Sources 

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources