1845 - 1919 (74 years)
Has more than 100 ancestors and 31 descendants in this family tree.
||John Nance Garner [1, 2, 3] |
|Relationship||with Francis Fox|
||Rutherford Co, TN (prob) [1, 2, 3, 4]
||31 Oct 1919
||Detroit, Red River Co, TX [1, 2, 3]
||30 Aug 2000 |
||John Nance Garner, II, b. 15 Jun 1810, Rutherford Co, TN , d. 10 Jun 1847, Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co, TN (Age 36 years) |
||Rebecca Katherine Walpole, b. 10 Mar 1812, North Carolina , d. 4 Jul 1881, Blossom Prairie, Lamar Co, TX (Age 69 years) |
||5 Jan 1833
||Marriage license obtained.
||5 siblings |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Sarah Jane Guest, b. 30 May 1851, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 20 Sep 1932, Red River Co, TX (Age 81 years) |
||3 May 1866
||Red River Co, TX [2, 3]
| ||1. John Nance Garner, IV, b. 22 Nov 1868, near Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 7 Nov 1967, Uvalde, Uvalde Co, TX (Age 98 years)|
| ||2. James Roe "Jim" Garner, b. 18 Nov 1871, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 15 Feb 1905, Detroit, Red River Co, TX (Age 33 years)|
| ||3. Lee Ellen Garner, b. 10 Feb 1874, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 10 Jun 1902, Detroit, Red River Co, TX (Age 28 years)|
| ||4. Julia Garner, b. 17 Sep 1877, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 29 Mar 1953, Detroit, Red River Co, TX (Age 75 years)|
| ||5. Sarah "Maude" Garner, b. 26 Jun 1880, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 1 Feb 1967, Red River Co, TX (Age 86 years)|
| ||6. Jesse L. "Jess" Garner, b. 22 Oct 1883, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 27 Jan 1942, Red River Co, TX (Age 58 years)|
| ||7. Jolly Garner, b. 24 Dec 1885, Detroit, Red River Co, TX , d. 14 Apr 1934, Detroit, Red River Co, TX (Age 48 years)|
||29 Aug 2000 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- - Confederate cavalry officer under Joe Wheeler.
- Served under Jeb Magruder driving Federal blockade out of Galveston Harbor.
- By end of War, with Wheeler again near the LA/AL state line.
- After the War, began a thriving cotton farm & ranch.
- 1870 - Built a large ranch home in the Colonial style built for beauty & comfort.
- 1870 - Family known as community leaders.
- Sought out for his advice on farming, politics, & local problems.
- Kept a barrel of whiskey available for visitors to drink or not.
- Avid poker player.
- Buried in the Detroit City Cem, Detroit, Red River Co, TX.
REF: "Garners of Texas A Personal History" by Bascom N. Timmons, Harper & Bros. Publishers, New York, avail. at San Augustine (TX?) Public Library & Houston, Harris Co, TX library: Said John Nance Garner was "Scotch in the male line & Welsh in the other." Mentions the Garners were a well-off family that had "found the way to education & business success" & had fought for both the King vs. the French & for Geo. Washington vs. the King. Also mentions the Garners "had moved west on the outer rim of advancing civilization" but were "not without roots". Book mentions the TN-TX migration may have been influenced by TN Gov. Sam Houston being a hero worshipper of Andrew Jackson & blazing a trail for TX, much effecting the developing philosophy of the early TX settlers.
REF: "Garners of Texas A Personal History" by Bascom N. Timmons, Harper & Bros. Publishers, New York, avail. at San Augustine (TX?) Public Library & Houston, Harris Co, TX library: "Garner's forebears had given him neither money nor education, but he had inherited their gifts for energy & success. He was a hard worker in his own fields, a good neighbor & a companionable fellow." He was able to build up a thriving ranch even under the extremely harsh times of Reconstruction after the Civil War.
- [S750] Jackson, Ronald Vernon, (R.G. & Associates, certified genealogists ,).
- [S218] Garners of Texas: A Personal History, Bascon N. Timmons, (Harper & Bros. Publishers, New York , , Repository: Houston, Harris Co, TX Public Library).
- [S220] Descendants of John Nance Garner II & Rebecca Walpole Garner, John Denison, (Rt 1, Box 90, Bogata, TX 75417, on display at John Nance Garner Museum, Uvalde, TX, sent to J.H. Garner by Lera Powell , , Repository: Denison's phone: 903/632-4964).
- [S223] US Census, 1850 Census, Odessa & Midland, TX, Vol II, NC T, Ru-733-400 (Reliability: 0).